Letting People Know

As well as letting relatives and friends know about the death, you will have to close bank and building society accounts or cancel or change insurance details, agreements, payments or direct debits.

These might include:

  • Employer
  • School
  • Solicitor/Accountant
  • Bank and Building Society
  • Utility Suppliers
  • Phone and Broadband Provider

Government organisations:

  • The relevant Tax Office
  • National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments)
  • Child Benefit Office (at the latest within eight weeks)
  • Local authority if they paid Council Tax, had a parking permit, were issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking, or received social services help, attended day care or similar
  • UK Identity and Passport Service, to return and cancel a passport
  • DVLA, to return any driving licence, cancel car tax or return car registration documents/change ownership

If you’re unsure about whether a particular organisation not listed here needs to be informed, please call us for further advice. We can also help you with the wording and placing of announcements in local or national papers.

Next: What to do Next…